Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Manestage Theatre Company


I found this hidden jewel while living in Bonney Lake, WA. I ventured into the tiny town of  Sumner looking for a used book store that resides in its historic downtown strip. The book store, named A GOOD BOOK is full of AMAZING books and great people. I am biased though, being a bookworm I think all other bookworms are great. Really though these ladies and a gentleman love books and between them all you can be pointed in the direction of an amazing book in any genre. I highly recommend stopping in there if you love books. So here I am driving towards A Good Book and I see a sign that says Pride and Prejudice by Manestage Theatre Company. I get home with my haul of books and google for the website to find the next showing.

I grabbed Yogi and we headed to the theatre to watch a play. It was delightful, this was my first time seeing live theatre outside of a high school production. I enjoyed it so much that we have continued going even after we moved. I have seen several of their plays now and my favorites were as I formentioned Pride and Prejudice...

Cinderella: This was wonderfully done. All of the cast fit their characters well and their voices were top notch. The prince was the stand out for me and my little sister in this one.

State Fair: This was perhaps my favorite that I have seen, It went by so fast. I wished it wasn't over or that I could rewind it. I don't have a favorite in this one because everyone did so amazing!

The Wizard of Oz: Of all the times I've been to the play now this was the most detailed and splendid makeup/costuming I have seen. The scarecrow was so funny, Toto was a true professional, the tin man was intriguing and the cowardly lion was lovable! I was disappointed not to hear over the rainbow but loved the songs they chose. This was my younger siblings first introduction to the story of OZ and they loved it.

The latest production was Narnia The Musical so I will give a more in depth review. I will say if every playhouse has to have a flop this one would be it for me, They didn't draw the curtains for set changes which took away from the mystique. Warning: You should be aware of my undying devotion to the C.S Lewis novels thusly I am a stickler for these books being impeccably covered. My biggest issue was the White Witch. She screamed.... A Lot. She should at all times remain cool, calm and collected even in anger. She is so presumptuous in her power and arrogant on her thrown that she has no need to lose control. The screeching actually gave me a headache, which was unfortunate as I was seated close to the orchestra which was wonderful but tended to be louder then the voices on stage and drowned them out often. The brilliance on stage was Mr and Mrs. Beaver, they were perfect. Mr. Tumnus did terrific and was very believably a fawn. Lucy's voice was the best of the night and Edmund was perfectly dislikable, which is exactly how he should be. I would like to also mention that the makeup and costumes were admirable.

I love this company and will continue to go to each production I can until I no longer live in Washington. If you are anywhere in the area and want to have a spectacular time, this is the place!!! I suggest you take your wife, husband, children, grandparents or really anyone and everyone who will see and appreciate the beauty of live theatre. Next Up is:

http://manestagetheatre.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ManeStage-Theatre-Company/248524651840022

No comments:

Post a Comment