Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Oh Monthly Payments


I’m Sure they started with a kind man trying to help a loyal customer who was down and out. 
“Hey Bob, I’m really needing a good bull. I have to get my numbers up. How much for that big brown one?” 
“Well Lyle, I’m asking 30 dollars for him. He is a prime breeding bull. Worth every penny. He will make you a fine herd.” 
Lyle lowered his head in shame and tried to think of a reason why he suddenly didn’t need a bull. Bob saw this and remembered back to all the times Lyle had done business with him. Even to the time that Lyle had given Bob a half a steer to feed his family when the shop was just getting up and running.
“I’ll tell you what Lyle. You give me a dollar a month on him and you can take him today.”
With that monthly payments began and have change ever so drastically since then. One dollar a month changed to 2, then to 4, then 8. Meanwhile the price doubled and tripled. Until we are here, present day America. Where the amount you pay is always Price+Interest+Tax=Ridiculous. Ask yourself this...If I walk into a cell phone store and told them I want this cell phone with plenty of mins, unlimited texting and insurance. If they said OK that will be $2,640. $5,180 If your spouse wants a phone too and you guys can share the minutes! :) Would you pay that?.....Because you are.
Let’s say you want TV. You say I want these five specific channels and all the movie channels. They say OK but in order to get all five(most popular channels)you will need the EVERYTHING pack. You say ok every channel sounds great, how much?

        Only $3,360! Would you pay that? Here is the kicker. It is Sunday your favorite team is playing their rival but they are not playing it on the common channels because your favorite team is 1000 miles away form you. So you go to the channel that does play it and you dont get that channel!!! What I get every channel! You call your friendly TV provider and they say....Oh you dont get “every channel” Its just called the EVERYTHING pak. But for $360 more I can get you those sports channels you are wanting. :)
Don't forget rent, insurances and Gym fees. The next time you go to buy something on monthly payments, pull out your trusty calculator and see just how much they are going to rip you off for. Is being able to call or text someone worth over 2 grand? Is “every” channel worth over 3 grand? Is that shiny new car worth 9 grand on top of the 10 grand mark up? Have a good day :)

2 comments:

  1. This is very annoying, Im now calculating all of my bills and finding that I don't like the numbers that are coming up. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tiffany, I am leaving you a comment because that is what you requested on facebook. Look at you! When I said that you should major in journalism, I was just throwing something out there. I had no idea you were actually writing and you are good at it too!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete