Pages

Friday, April 30, 2010

47 Years of Marriage and Still Smiling

All heavy posts aside I have to write about this woman that Yogi and I met in a local coffee shop.

Barister: Who is that?
Woman: It's your girlfriend! hehe
Barister: Why Hello Dear, will it be the usual?
Woman: Yes Phil. (woman looks to me) I'm not really his girlfriend, I'm married have been for 47 years. Oh my lord has it been that long? I dont even feel 47!

That is how it began. While we waited for our coffee(italian soda for me) she told us all about the goods and bads of marriage. She gave us priceless advice on how to keep it strong and happy. This woman is my hero. 47 years with the same man and she had a huge smile on her face when talking about him. So often these days marriage ends in divorce or a life of unhappiness. It was truly an inspiring conversation. I wish that every couple to be married could have a mentoring chat too. It was all of five minutes but it restored my faith in what marriage can be. So many people get married knowing that they are not in love or even happy with the person...we call this settling.

Don't settle people....you can find someone who will make you smile 47 years later AND the person you are settling for deserves to find that too.

Heres to Love and Happiness!!

1 comment:

  1. OMG is the only word i can say and that is wounderful. i wish that it was how it was for everyone.

    ReplyDelete